Bristol-based workshops in woodworking and wood carving, sewing, weaving and fabric dyeing, upholstery and furniture making, and printmaking
Something for everyone
Makershed's tutors have created courses suitable for complete beginners and more seasoned makers, and are passionate about sharing their skills with others in a hands-on environment.
- Evening, daytime, weekend and midweek options.
- Beginner, intermediate and mixed ability courses are available.
- Tutoring and tool use included in your course fee. In some cases materials are also included, or available to buy through Makershed where relevant.
- Based in the St Pauls area of Bristol with good public transport links, bike stands and parking nearby.
Working with fabrics
Choose from courses in weaving, sewing and fabric dyeing. You can learn:
- How to make a bag or garment of clothing while building your sewing knowledge and confidence.
- The history of traditional fabric dyeing practices and how to dye fabrics using plant-based recipes.
- How to weave on a hand or a rigid loom and how to read a draft pattern.
Working with wood
Choose from courses in woodworking and wood carving and sculpture. You can learn:
- The basics of using woodworking tools to make your own projects.
- How to dismantle pallets and design, join and finish your own palletwood project.
- Ways to create, carve and finish a relief wood carving.
- Safe ways of using power tools.
- Tool sharpening techniques.
All the tools and guidance you need to start making your own prints and rubber stamps. You can learn:
- How to safely use lino-cutting tools and produce different marks and textures.
- How to use printing inks on card and fabric.
- The basics of pattern design.
- Reduction printing with multiple layers (Level 2 course).
Re-upholster an existing item or make upholstered furniture from scratch. You can learn:
- How to strip and re-build your own piece of upholstered furniture.
- About upholstery foams and natural fillings, and fabric cuts and folds.
- Safe usage of woodwork and upholstery hand tools.
- How to build an upholstered footstool, armchair or your own project (dependent on experience).